Is Meryl Streep the right answer to the question: ‘Who runs the world?’
Career of over 43 years. Over 80 iconic roles. Nominated for the Oscars 21 times (Most by any actor in history). Worth over $90 million. Women’s right activist and the most loved celebrity in the world.
Feminist and a Spirit animal
And to think that her given name is also not Meryl. Yep, that’s right. Her given name is Mary Louise Streep, named after her grandmother and aunt. But her father nicknamed her Meryl and clearly the name has stuck ever since.
Lesser known facts about Meryl Streep that make her our perfect spirit animal:
- She left opera to become a cheerleader – Streep took opera lessons when she was still in high school under Estelle Lieberg in New York. But she disliked it so much that she quit that to take up cheerleading and smoking. Talking to a leading daily, she spilled the beans on this fact. Kinda hard to imagine, given that she has starred in some of the greatest musicals in Hollywood including 2018’s Mary Poppins Returns, 2014’s Into The Woods and 2008’s Mamma Mia.
- She could have been a successful lawyer – Streep let the cat out of the bag when she let the world know that when she was 23, she slept through a law exam. She wanted to be an environmental lawyer but after that incident, she realized that maybe becoming a lawyer was not where she belonged. But, if her dedication to her craft is any indication, she may have been a kickass lawyer.
- She had a torrid and heartbreaking affair with actor John Cazale – Actor John Cazale will forever be known as Fredo from The Godfather movies. But to Streep, he will always be the man that got away. Though Streep is happily married to sculptor Don Gummer now, she was previously involved with Cazale till the latter’s untimely demise in 1978 due to terminal bone cancer. The duo had met in 1976 on the sets of the Shakespeare play Measure for Measure and as it is said, it was love at first sight for them.
After learning the prognosis, Meryl was by his side till the very end. “I’ve hardly ever seen a person so devoted to someone who is falling away like John was,” said co-star Robert de Niro, “To see her in that act of love for this man was overwhelming.”
She has gone on the record to state that Cazale’s passing changed the course of her life and she will continue to love him till she is alive. Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is true love.
- She learnt Polish for her role in Sophie’s Choice – Streep won her second Oscar for her performance in the 1983 movie Sophie’s Choice. Streep plays a Polish immigrant in America who takes up boarding in Brooklyn with her tempestuous lover and a young writer. But to get into the skin of her character, Streep chose to learn Polish. She claims that this helped her embody the character much better. And who are we to complain? She gave a splendid performance in the movie in the end.
- Streep’s children to take forward her legacy – Streep is the mother of four wonderful children, three girls and a boy. The eldest, her son, is an artist and her youngest is a model. However, her two middle children, Mamie and Grace Gummer are notable television actresses who have often starred in fil
Click Here for More Entertainment Articles